Saturday, May 24, 2008

Well, today I was apparently a road worker on highway 80. I got up like usual and it was pretty gray and rainy. Grabbed a jacket just in case it rained more or was cold, but here in Reno it really wasn't that bad. I got to Truckee and it started snowing pretty bad. It got worse and worse as I headed up Donner. About 2 miles from the summit I got around a curve and saw a big truck on its back. There was someone pounding on the inside window trying to get out. I stopped and ran back just as the guy managed to crawl out the door. He says he lost control in the slush, hit the side of the mountain and rolled. Scary. He was bleeding a bit from his elbow and was a little shaky. Lucky for me someone else stopped and they had a first aid kit so we could patch him up. I have no idea where mine went. Hmmm... Bad me. Finally the ambulance and police came and I left. I saw a couple more accidents with police already there. That's when I thought, hmmmm how important is it for me to get to Auburn and back today? I only had 2 patients scheduled. I decided to be safe and turn around and go home. Well, I turn around and not 2 miles in the other direction, I see headlights facing me. Well, it's a one way road, there shouldn't be headlights!
Also, they were off the side of the embankment. 80 is very scary because of the dropoffs on the sides. Well, he spun out and slid down the dropoff backwards. A couple of trees stopped him. Hooray for trees! He only had a little cut and some muscle aches. Nobody had stopped to help, they probably just didn't see him since he was down the side of the hill. I waited with him for the police and towtruck. Turns out he was a ref for the basketball tournament in Reno and he didn't have a way to get there now. Since that's where I was going, I decided to give him a lift. Nice guy too! His poor car, totalled. Still though, could have been a LOT worse, like no trees to stop him. So I made it home and snuggled with my boys and all is well. I HATE slippery roads, especially 80. Ah well... Anyone wanna buy a cute little office in Auburn?
And of course I have to end with a little picture of the cutest baby ever. He discovered noodles with LOTS of sauce. Every bite was "mmmmmm". He probably ate at least 1/2 a cup full! Yummy yummy! :)

No comments: